In 1978, the musical film “Grease” was released and became a huge success. The movie was based on the 1971 musical of the same name, which premiered on Broadway. The film’s cast was led by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, who played the iconic roles of Danny Zuko and Sandy Olsson. However, it is interesting to note that some other actors were originally considered for these roles before they went to Travolta and Newton-John. Here are some of the actors who were passed on for the lead roles in “Grease”:
- Henry Winkler: The “Happy Days” star was initially considered for the role of Danny Zuko, but he turned it down.
- Marie Osmond: The famous singer and television personality auditioned for the role of Sandy Olsson, but she was deemed too young for the part.
- Jeff Conaway: The actor who later played Kenickie in the film was initially considered for the role of Danny Zuko, but the filmmakers ultimately decided he was better suited for the role of Kenickie.
- Susan Dey: The “Partridge Family” star was considered for the role of Sandy Olsson, but she declined the role because she didn’t want to be typecast as a goody-two-shoes.
- Carrie Fisher: The “Star Wars” actress auditioned for the role of Rizzo but ultimately didn’t get the part.
- John Travolta: Although he was eventually cast as Danny Zuko, the filmmakers initially thought he was too old for the part.
In the end, the roles of Danny and Sandy went to John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, respectively. The rest, as they say, is history. “Grease” went on to become one of the most beloved musical films of all time, and the performances of Travolta and Newton-John helped to make them household names.
“Grease” is a beloved musical film released in 1978, directed by Randal Kleiser and based on the Broadway musical of the same name. The movie takes place in the 1950s and follows the story of two high school students, Danny Zuko and Sandy Olsson, who fall in love over the summer but struggle to navigate their different social groups and expectations once they return to school.
The movie features an iconic soundtrack of catchy songs, including “Summer Nights,” “Greased Lightnin’,” and “You’re the One That I Want,” that have remained popular and recognizable decades after the film’s release.
“Grease” stars John Travolta as Danny and Olivia Newton-John as Sandy, and also features a talented supporting cast of actors and actresses. The film has become a cultural phenomenon and is often cited as one of the greatest movie musicals of all time.
Despite its success, there were several actors and actresses who auditioned for the lead roles but were ultimately passed over in favor of Travolta and Newton-John. These include Henry Winkler, who turned down the role of Danny because he didn’t want to be typecast as a “hood,” and Marie Osmond, who auditioned for the role of Sandy but was told she was too wholesome for the part.
Other notable actors who were considered for the lead roles include Susan Dey, who was offered the role of Sandy but turned it down, and Carole Demas, who originated the role of Sandy on Broadway but was not considered for the movie version. Despite missing out on these opportunities, these actors and actresses went on to have successful careers in the entertainment industry.