The Kennedy family is one of the most well-known and influential families in American history. However, their success has also been overshadowed by a series of tragic events that have come to be known as the Kennedy family curse. From assassinations to plane crashes, the Kennedys have endured a remarkable amount of suffering and loss over the years. Here is a list of every family member who died tragically.
- Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. Joseph P. Kennedy Jr., the eldest son of Joseph and Rose Kennedy, was a Navy pilot during World War II. In 1944, he volunteered for a dangerous secret mission and died when his plane exploded in mid-air.
- Kathleen Kennedy Kathleen Kennedy, also known as “Kick,” was the fourth child of Joseph and Rose Kennedy. She died in 1948 at the age of 28 in a plane crash in France.
- John F. Kennedy John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States, was assassinated in Dallas, Texas, on November 22, 1963. Lee Harvey Oswald was charged with his murder, but many conspiracy theories surround the assassination.
- Patrick Bouvier Kennedy Patrick Bouvier Kennedy was the youngest child of John and Jacqueline Kennedy. He was born prematurely in 1963 and died two days later.
- Robert F. Kennedy Robert F. Kennedy, the younger brother of John F. Kennedy, was assassinated on June 5, 1968, in Los Angeles, California, after winning the California Democratic presidential primary. Sirhan Sirhan was convicted of his murder.
- Edward M. Kennedy Edward M. Kennedy, the youngest brother of John F. Kennedy, served as a U.S. Senator from Massachusetts for almost 47 years. He died in 2009 at the age of 77 from brain cancer.
- John F. Kennedy Jr. John F. Kennedy Jr., the son of John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, died in a plane crash in 1999. He was flying his own plane to attend a family wedding in Martha’s Vineyard when the plane crashed into the Atlantic Ocean. His wife, Carolyn Bessette Kennedy, and her sister, Lauren Bessette, also died in the crash.
- Kara Kennedy Kara Kennedy, the eldest child of Edward M. Kennedy, died of a heart attack in 2011 at the age of 51.
- Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy, the sixth of Robert F. Kennedy’s children, died in a skiing accident in 1997 at the age of 39.
- David Kennedy David Kennedy, the fourth of Robert F. Kennedy’s children, died of a drug overdose in 1984 at the age of 28.
- Joseph Kennedy II’s Son Joseph Kennedy II’s son, Joseph Kennedy III, died in a skiing accident in 1973 at the age of 12.
The Kennedy family curse has been the subject of much speculation over the years, with many people wondering if it is simply a coincidence or if there is something more at play. Regardless of the cause, the Kennedys have suffered more than their fair share of tragedy and loss. Their legacy, however, continues to live on, and their impact on American politics and culture will not be forgotten.