As actors grow and develop their craft, they often take on roles that challenge them and push them outside their comfort zones. Sometimes, this means playing characters that are drastically different from their previous roles, and even completely opposite to their public personas. This can lead to a shocking and unexpected transformation on-screen, leaving audiences stunned and impressed. Here are 10 actors who surprised us with their R-rated roles.
- Emma Watson – The Bling Ring (2013) After playing the beloved Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter series for over a decade, Emma Watson shocked audiences with her role in The Bling Ring. The film is based on the true story of a group of teenagers who break into the homes of celebrities and steal their belongings. Watson played one of the teenage burglars, portraying a character that was a far cry from her previous innocent roles.
- Zac Efron – The Paperboy (2012) Zac Efron shed his Disney image with his role in The Paperboy, a film about a young man who becomes embroiled in a dangerous investigation in the Deep South. Efron’s character is involved in a love triangle and engages in some steamy scenes with co-star Nicole Kidman.
- Ryan Gosling – The Believer (2001) Before he became a Hollywood heartthrob, Ryan Gosling played a Jewish neo-Nazi in The Believer. The film is based on the true story of a young Jewish man who becomes involved in a white supremacist group.
- Leonardo DiCaprio – This Boy’s Life (1993) Leonardo DiCaprio played a troubled and rebellious teenager in This Boy’s Life, a film based on the memoirs of author Tobias Wolff. DiCaprio’s performance earned him critical acclaim and showed that he was more than just a pretty face.
- Kristen Stewart – On The Road (2012) Kristen Stewart played a free-spirited and sexually adventurous character in On The Road. The film is based on the classic novel by Jack Kerouac and showcased Stewart’s range as an actress.
- Anne Hathaway – Havoc (2005) Anne Hathaway shocked audiences with her role in Havoc, a film about a group of wealthy Los Angeles teenagers who become involved in gang culture. Hathaway’s character experiments with drugs and engages in explicit sexual behavior.
- Drew Barrymore – Poison Ivy (1992) Drew Barrymore played a seductive and manipulative teenager in Poison Ivy. The film was a departure from her previous roles and showcased her talent as an actress.
- Natalie Portman – Black Swan (2010) Natalie Portman underwent a dramatic transformation for her role in Black Swan. She played a ballerina who becomes obsessed with perfection, and the film features intense and erotic scenes.
- Shia LaBeouf – Nymphomaniac (2013) Shia LaBeouf shocked audiences with his explicit role in Nymphomaniac, a film about a woman’s sexual journey. LaBeouf’s character engages in graphic sex scenes and pushes the boundaries of what audiences expected from him.
- Daniel Radcliffe – Swiss Army Man (2016) Daniel Radcliffe shed his Harry Potter image with his role in Swiss Army Man. He played a dead body that is used as a tool by a man stranded on a deserted island. The film was bizarre and controversial, but Radcliffe’s performance was praised by critics.
In conclusion, these actors showed their versatility and range by taking on R-rated roles that shocked and surprised audiences. From playing neo-Nazis to sexually adventurous characters, these performances proved that actors are capable of taking on any role that challenges them