Lasagna is a classic Italian dish that has become popular all over the world. It is a delicious comfort food that combines layers of pasta with a rich tomato sauce, cheese, and sometimes meat or vegetables. While it may seem intimidating to make from scratch, with a few key steps and ingredients, anyone can make a delicious lasagna at home.
Here’s a recipe for making traditional lasagna:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 cans tomato sauce (8 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 carton ricotta cheese (15 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until the beef is browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper to the skillet, and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the lasagna noodles according to the package instructions, and drain.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Spread a thin layer of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Add a layer of 4 lasagna noodles, followed by a layer of the cheese mixture, and another layer of the meat sauce. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, finishing with a layer of meat sauce on top.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese over the top of the lasagna.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let the lasagna cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired.
Enjoy your delicious homemade lasagna!
In conclusion, making lasagna at home is a great way to enjoy a comforting and delicious meal. Whether you prefer a traditional meat and cheese lasagna or a vegetarian version with plenty of veggies, there are endless possibilities for creating your own unique twist on this classic dish. So next time you’re looking for a hearty and satisfying meal, try making lasagna from scratch and impress your friends and family with your culinary skills.