Homemade eggnog is a classic holiday drink that is surprisingly easy to make. To get started, you will need the following ingredients:
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg (plus extra for garnish)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of bourbon or rum (optional)
Once you have gathered your ingredients, follow these steps to make your homemade eggnog:
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites and place the yolks in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar to the bowl with the egg yolks and whisk until the mixture becomes thick and pale yellow.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and salt until everything is combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the eggnog mixture.
- Chill the eggnog in the refrigerator for at least two hours, or until it is cold.
- Serve your homemade eggnog in individual glasses, garnished with extra nutmeg if desired.
If you want to make spiked eggnog, simply stir in one cup of bourbon or rum before chilling the mixture in the refrigerator. Just be sure to drink responsibly!
To make homemade eggnog, you will need eggs, sugar, milk, cream, vanilla extract, and nutmeg. The first step is to separate the egg yolks from the whites, then whisk the yolks with the sugar until the mixture is smooth and pale yellow in color. Next, heat the milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it begins to steam. Gradually pour the hot milk and cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from cooking. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in vanilla extract and nutmeg. Allow the eggnog to cool, then refrigerate for several hours or overnight before serving. You can also add a splash of rum, brandy, or bourbon to the eggnog for an adult twist on this classic holiday beverage.
Finally, add a sprinkle of nutmeg on top for garnish and extra flavor. Serve the eggnog chilled and enjoy! Remember to store any leftover eggnog in the fridge and consume within a few days.