Fish and chips is a classic British dish that has been enjoyed for generations. It consists of battered and fried fish served with crispy chips. While it may seem like a simple dish, there are a few tricks to making it perfectly. In this article, we will guide you through the steps of making delicious fish and chips in the comfort of your own home.
First, let’s start with the fish. The most common fish used for fish and chips is cod or haddock, but you can use any white fish that is available in your local market. Make sure to choose fish that is fresh and has a mild flavor. Cut the fish into evenly sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
For the batter, you will need flour, salt, baking powder, and beer. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and slowly add the beer, whisking until the batter is smooth and free of lumps. The beer adds flavor and gives the batter a light and crispy texture. Let the batter rest for 10-15 minutes.
In the meantime, prepare the chips. Cut potatoes into thick, even-sized pieces. Soak them in cold water for at least 30 minutes to remove excess starch, which will help them get crispy when fried. Drain and dry the potatoes with a paper towel.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan or a deep fryer to 350°F (175°C). Dip the fish pieces in the batter, making sure they are fully coated. Fry them in the hot oil until they are golden brown and crispy, about 5-7 minutes depending on the size of the pieces. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to remove any excess oil.
Next, fry the chips in the same oil until they are golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oil and place them on the plate with the fish.
Here are the steps for making fish and chips:
- 4 large potatoes
- 4 fillets of white fish (such as cod, haddock, or pollock)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup cold beer
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Salt, to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into thick wedges. Soak them in cold water for at least 30 minutes to remove the excess starch.
- Preheat your deep-fryer or a large pot of vegetable oil to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Add the cold beer and water to the dry ingredients and whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Pat the fish fillets dry with paper towels, then season them with salt and pepper.
- Dip each fillet into the batter, making sure it’s fully coated.
- Gently place the battered fish into the hot oil and fry for 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the fish from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on a wire rack to drain any excess oil.
- Fry the potato wedges in the same hot oil until golden brown and crispy, about 4-6 minutes.
- Remove the potato wedges from the oil and place on a wire rack to drain.
- Serve the fish and chips immediately with your favorite condiments, such as tartar sauce, malt vinegar, or lemon wedges.
Enjoy your homemade fish and chips!
Serve the fish and chips with tartar sauce, ketchup, or malt vinegar. And there you have it, delicious fish and chips that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Enjoy!