Eggnog is a classic holiday drink that’s rich, creamy, and perfect for cozy nights by the fire. While you can buy pre-made eggnog at the store, there’s something special about making it from scratch with fresh ingredients. With a few simple steps, you can whip up a batch of homemade eggnog that will impress your guests and make your taste buds sing.
Here’s a guide on how to make eggnog:
Eggnog is a yummy drink that many people look forward to each year. While it can be purchased pre-made, there’s nothing quite like the taste of homemade eggnog. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make eggnog from scratch:
- 4 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of rum (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, cream, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to steam.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks until they’re light and fluffy.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from cooking.
- Once the milk mixture has been fully incorporated into the egg yolks, return the mixture to the saucepan.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Be careful not to let the mixture boil, as this can cause the eggs to curdle.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and rum (if using).
- Allow the eggnog to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or up to 3 days) before serving.
- When you’re ready to serve the eggnog, give it a good stir and garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg or a cinnamon stick.
Enjoy your delicious homemade eggnog with family and friends during the holiday season!
If you want to make your eggnog extra special, consider adding a splash of your favorite liquor such as rum or bourbon. You can also top it off with a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon for an added touch of flavor and visual appeal. However, be mindful of the alcohol content and always drink responsibly.
In conclusion, making eggnog is not as difficult as it may seem. With a few simple ingredients and some patience, you can create a delicious and festive drink that is perfect for the holiday season. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different spices and flavorings to create your own unique version of this classic drink. Happy holidays and enjoy your homemade eggnog!