Soup is a classic comfort food that is perfect for any time of the year. Whether you’re looking to warm up on a chilly day or just want a nutritious and satisfying meal, homemade soup is always a great choice. With a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking techniques, you can make a delicious soup that will please your taste buds and nourish your body. Here’s a guide to making soup from scratch.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked pasta or rice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen vegetables (such as peas, green beans, or corn)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced carrots and celery to the pot and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are slightly softened.
- Pour in the canned diced tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the uncooked pasta or rice to the pot and let it cook until it is tender, usually about 10-15 minutes depending on the type of pasta or rice.
- Stir in the fresh or frozen vegetables and let them cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until they are tender and heated through.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup hot with some crusty bread on the side.
- Feel free to mix and match different vegetables to suit your taste preferences.
- You can also add cooked chicken, beef, or tofu to the soup for some extra protein.
- If you want a creamier soup, stir in some heavy cream or coconut milk at the end of the cooking process.
- Leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
And there you have it – a simple, easy-to-follow guide to making a delicious soup at home. Whether you prefer a classic chicken noodle soup or a hearty vegetable soup, the possibilities are endless when it comes to making soup from scratch. So grab a pot, some ingredients, and get cooking – your taste buds will thank you!