Chicken Teriyaki is a popular Japanese dish that is known for its sweet and savory flavors. It is a dish that can be easily prepared at home with just a few ingredients. In this recipe, we will show you how to make Chicken Teriyaki from scratch, so you can enjoy this delicious dish in the comfort of your own home.
To make Chicken Teriyaki, you will need boneless chicken thighs, soy sauce, sake, mirin, sugar, garlic, and ginger. You will also need a frying pan, a saucepan, and a spatula.
Start by preparing the chicken. Remove any excess fat and cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. In a frying pan, cook the chicken over medium-high heat until it is browned on all sides. Set the chicken aside.
In a saucepan, combine the soy sauce, sake, mirin, sugar, garlic, and ginger. Heat the mixture over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Next, add the cooked chicken to the saucepan with the teriyaki sauce. Turn the heat up to high and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is coated in the sauce.
Serve the Chicken Teriyaki over a bed of steamed rice and garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions. This dish can also be served with vegetables like broccoli or carrots for added nutrition.
Here are the steps to make Chicken Teriyaki:
- Begin by preparing the chicken. Cut 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, whisk together 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, and 1 tablespoon minced ginger.
- Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until it’s browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce over the chicken and stir to coat.
- Let the chicken cook for another 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is fully cooked and the sauce has thickened and coated the chicken.
- Serve the chicken teriyaki over steamed rice and garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
With these simple steps, you can make Chicken Teriyaki that is just as delicious as the ones you can find in Japanese restaurants. Enjoy this dish with family and friends, and impress them with your cooking skills!