Cary Grant was one of Hollywood’s most iconic leading men, known for his charm, wit, and debonair style. Born Archibald Alexander Leach on January 18, 1904, in Bristol, England, he left school at a young age and joined a touring stage troupe. He eventually made his way to Hollywood, where he landed his first film role in 1932’s “This Is the Night.” Grant quickly became a major star, appearing in classic films such as “The Philadelphia Story,” “North by Northwest,” and “Charade.”
Despite his image as a ladies’ man, Grant had a complicated personal life. He was married five times and had numerous affairs throughout his career. Here are some of the women (and one man) that Grant was known to have been involved with:
- Virginia Cherrill – Grant’s first wife, whom he married in 1934. They divorced two years later.
- Barbara Hutton – Grant dated heiress Barbara Hutton in the early 1940s. Hutton was one of the richest women in the world at the time.
- Betsy Drake – Grant’s third wife, whom he married in 1949. They remained married for 12 years.
- Sophia Loren – Grant had a brief fling with Italian actress Sophia Loren while they were filming the movie “The Pride and the Passion” in 1957.
- Audrey Hepburn – The two stars had great chemistry in the film “Charade” and were rumored to have had a brief affair.
- Dyan Cannon – Grant’s fourth wife, whom he married in 1965. They had one daughter together before divorcing in 1968.
- Barbara Harris – Grant had a brief romance with actress Barbara Harris in the 1960s. They appeared together in the film “The Honey Pot.”
- Phyllis Brooks – Grant had a brief romance with actress Phyllis Brooks in the 1930s. They appeared together in the films “Topper” and “Topper Takes a Trip.”
- Cynthia Bouron – Grant had a short-lived romance with actress Cynthia Bouron in the late 1930s. They appeared together in the film “Gunga Din.”
- Ingrid Bergman – Grant had a romantic relationship with actress Ingrid Bergman while they were filming the movie “Notorious” in 1946. They remained friends after their affair ended.
- Randolph Scott – While there is no concrete evidence that Grant had a romantic relationship with fellow actor Randolph Scott, rumors have persisted for years. The two men lived together in the 1930s and were often seen together in public. Some believe that Grant and Scott were involved in a long-term affair.
Overall, Grant was known for his suave, sophisticated image on and off the screen. His personal life was often the subject of gossip, but he remained beloved by fans for his talent and charm until his death in 1986 at the age of 82. While his relationships with women were numerous and varied, his legacy as an iconic Hollywood leading man remains intact.