It’s no secret that being a celebrity comes with a lot of perks – fame, fortune, and adoration from fans. However, not all celebrities are content with the glitz and glamour of Hollywood, and some have chosen to leave fame behind, even after making millions of dollars. Here are 15 celebrities who have chosen to walk away from the limelight:
- Cameron Diaz – After appearing in blockbuster movies like “Charlie’s Angels” and “The Mask,” Diaz decided to take a step back from acting and focus on other pursuits, including writing and philanthropy.
- Rick Moranis – Known for his comedic roles in movies like “Ghostbusters” and “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids,” Moranis took a break from acting to raise his children after the death of his wife. He has since returned to the spotlight with a new project.
- Phoebe Cates – Cates was a fixture in ’80s movies like “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” and “Gremlins,” but decided to leave acting behind to focus on her family and her successful career as a businesswoman.
- Mara Wilson – Wilson was a child star in the ’90s, appearing in movies like “Mrs. Doubtfire” and “Matilda.” However, she left acting behind to focus on her education and writing.
- Gene Hackman – A legendary actor with an impressive career, Hackman retired from acting in 2004 to pursue his passion for writing.
- Dave Chappelle – After walking away from his hugely successful TV show “Chappelle’s Show,” Chappelle took a break from the spotlight and focused on his stand-up comedy career. He has since returned to TV with his Netflix show “Chappelle’s Show.”
- Bridget Fonda – A well-known actress in the ’90s, Fonda retired from acting after marrying composer Danny Elfman and starting a family.
- Freddie Prinze Jr. – Prinze was a heartthrob in the ’90s with roles in movies like “She’s All That” and “I Know What You Did Last Summer.” However, he stepped away from acting to focus on his family and other interests.
- Joaquin Phoenix – After a successful acting career, Phoenix announced that he was leaving Hollywood to pursue a career as a rapper. He later returned to acting and won an Academy Award for his role in “Joker.”
- Amanda Bynes – Bynes was a popular child star in the ’90s and early 2000s, but decided to retire from acting after struggling with personal issues.
- Sean Connery – The legendary James Bond actor retired from acting in 2006 and spent his remaining years focusing on his philanthropic work and spending time with his family.
- Greta Garbo – One of the biggest stars of the silent film era, Garbo retired from acting at the age of 36 and became a recluse for the rest of her life.
- Rick Schroder – A child star in the ’80s, Schroder left acting behind to pursue a career in the military and law enforcement.
- Amanda Peterson – Known for her role in the ’80s movie “Can’t Buy Me Love,” Peterson retired from acting in the ’90s and tragically passed away in 2015.
- Michael Schoeffling – After his breakout role in “Sixteen Candles,” Schoeffling stepped away from acting to focus on his family and his successful furniture-making business.
These celebrities prove that fame and fortune aren’t always enough to keep someone in the public eye. Sometimes, the desire for a simpler life, the need to focus on family, or the pursuit of other passions is enough to prompt someone to leave the glitz and glamour of Hollywood behind, even if it means giving up the millions of dollars that come with it.