Game shows have been a popular source of entertainment for decades, with millions of viewers tuning in to watch contestants compete for cash and prizes. However, sometimes the hosts of these shows can take things a little too far, resulting in controversial moments that have left audiences shocked and appalled. Here are 10 times game show hosts went too far.
- Pat Sajak and Vanna White’s Kiss: During a taping of Wheel of Fortune, host Pat Sajak surprised co-host Vanna White with a sudden kiss on the lips. While the audience and contestants laughed, some viewers found the incident inappropriate and accused Sajak of sexual harassment.
- Gene Rayburn’s Nip Slip: On an episode of the Match Game, host Gene Rayburn suffered a wardrobe malfunction when his shirt came undone, revealing his nipple to the audience. While Rayburn made light of the situation and continued with the show, some viewers were shocked by the incident.
- Alex Trebek’s Creepy Comment: During an episode of Jeopardy, host Alex Trebek made a comment that many viewers found creepy and inappropriate. When a contestant mentioned her love for nerdcore hip-hop, Trebek responded, “Losers, in other words.” The comment sparked outrage on social media, with many viewers accusing Trebek of being disrespectful.
- Bob Barker’s Magic Pocket: During a taping of The Price is Right, host Bob Barker was caught on camera pulling a pen out of his pocket and adjusting himself. While some viewers laughed off the incident as a harmless mistake, others accused Barker of being inappropriate.
- Meredith Viera’s Steamy Fantasies: During an episode of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, host Meredith Viera asked a contestant about his romantic fantasies. When the contestant mentioned his desire to be tied up, Viera responded, “Oh, you naughty boy!” The comment was criticized by some viewers as inappropriate and unprofessional.
- Wink Martindale’s Dirty Mind: During a taping of Tic Tac Dough, host Wink Martindale made a suggestive comment to a female contestant. When the contestant mentioned her love for the beach, Martindale responded, “I’ll bet you look great in a bathing suit!” The comment was criticized by some viewers as inappropriate and disrespectful.
- Richard Dawson’s Kisses: On the game show Family Feud, host Richard Dawson was known for kissing female contestants on the lips. While some viewers found the kisses harmless and charming, others criticized Dawson’s behavior as inappropriate and uncomfortable for the contestants.
- Pat Sajak Tackles Guest: During a taping of Wheel of Fortune, host Pat Sajak tackled a guest who rushed onto the set during a commercial break. While Sajak claimed that he was simply trying to protect the contestant from potential danger, some viewers criticized his behavior as excessive and violent.
- Chuck Woolery’s Racist Tweet: Former game show host Chuck Woolery sparked controversy when he tweeted a racist comment about former President Barack Obama. Woolery’s tweet, which accused Obama of being a Muslim and a “racial divider,” was widely criticized by viewers and other celebrities.
- Steve Harvey’s Miss Universe Mix-Up: During the 2015 Miss Universe pageant, host Steve Harvey announced the wrong winner, mistakenly crowning Miss Colombia instead of Miss Philippines. The incident sparked widespread outrage and criticism, with many viewers accusing Harvey of being unprofessional and causing embarrassment for the contestants.
While game shows can be a fun and lighthearted form of entertainment, it is important for hosts to remember their responsibilities and conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. These examples serve as a reminder that even the most popular and beloved game show hosts can make mistakes and cross the line.