Boy Meets World was one of the most beloved sitcoms of the 90s, following the life of protagonist Cory Matthews from middle school to college. The show was on the air for seven seasons and left a lasting impact on its viewers. While many fans of the show may remember the memorable characters and plotlines, there are several surprising facts about the show that are not as well known. Here are 10 surprising facts about Boy Meets World.
- The character of Mr. Feeny was not originally intended to be a main character on the show. William Daniels was only supposed to appear in the pilot episode, but the producers loved him so much that they kept him on for the entire series.
- The show was almost called “New Family in Town” before settling on the name Boy Meets World.
- The character of Topanga was named after the canyon in Malibu, California where the show’s creator, Michael Jacobs, lived.
- The character of Eric Matthews was originally written to be the cool older brother, but as the show progressed, he became more of a lovable goofball.
- The show’s theme song, “I’ll Be There for You,” was performed by the band The Rembrandts. The song was also used as the theme song for the hit sitcom Friends.
- Many of the show’s episodes were filmed on location at John Adams Middle School in Santa Monica, California.
- Rider Strong, who played Cory’s best friend Shawn, was originally considered for the role of Cory before being cast as Shawn.
- During the show’s fourth season, the character of Cory was briefly written out of the show when actor Ben Savage took time off to have surgery for a medical condition.
- The show’s creator, Michael Jacobs, based many of the show’s storylines on his own life experiences.
- The show was so popular that it inspired a spin-off series called Girl Meets World, which followed the life of Cory and Topanga’s daughter.
Boy Meets World continues to be a beloved show to this day, with many fans eagerly rewatching episodes on streaming services. Its relatable characters and heartwarming storylines continue to resonate with audiences of all ages.
The cast of “Boy Meets World” was made up of talented actors who brought their characters to life. Ben Savage played the lead role of Cory Matthews, while Danielle Fishel portrayed his love interest, Topanga Lawrence. Rider Strong played Cory’s best friend, Shawn Hunter, and William Daniels played the role of Cory’s mentor and teacher, Mr. Feeny.
The show also featured memorable performances from other cast members, including Betsy Randle as Cory’s mother, William Russ as his father, and Will Friedle as Cory’s older brother, Eric. The chemistry between the cast members was a key factor in the show’s success and is still celebrated by fans today.