Throughout history, many celebrities have become known for their lavish lifestyles and public personas. However, when they pass away, some choose to have a more private resting place. In some cases, this means being buried in an unmarked grave, leaving their final resting place unknown to the public. Here are 10 celebrities who were buried in an unmarked grave.
- Hattie McDaniel – The first African American to win an Oscar for her role in “Gone with the Wind,” Hattie McDaniel was laid to rest in an unmarked grave in Los Angeles’ Angelus-Rosedale Cemetery after she passed away in 1952. It wasn’t until 1991 that a gravestone was finally added in her honor.
- James Dean – Known for his iconic roles in “Rebel Without a Cause” and “Giant,” James Dean died in a car accident at the young age of 24. He was buried in an unmarked grave at the Park Cemetery in Indiana, where fans still visit to pay their respects.
- Marilyn Monroe – One of the most iconic actresses of all time, Marilyn Monroe was buried in an unmarked grave at Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in Los Angeles after her untimely death in 1962. It wasn’t until years later that a small plaque was added to her grave.
- John Belushi – Comedian John Belushi, known for his roles in “Saturday Night Live” and “Animal House,” was buried in an unmarked grave at Abel’s Hill Cemetery on Martha’s Vineyard after he died of a drug overdose in 1982.
- Judy Garland – The star of “The Wizard of Oz,” Judy Garland was buried in an unmarked grave at Ferncliff Cemetery in Hartsdale, New York after her death in 1969. It wasn’t until 2017 that a headstone was added, thanks to the efforts of her daughters.
- James Brown – The “Godfather of Soul,” James Brown was buried in an unmarked grave at Southview Cemetery in Augusta, Georgia after his death in 2006. Fans were outraged at the lack of a headstone, and a monument was finally added in 2019.
- Harry Houdini – The legendary magician and escape artist, Harry Houdini was buried in an unmarked grave at Machpelah Cemetery in Queens, New York after his death in 1926. Fans still visit the cemetery in hopes of finding his resting place.
- Chris Farley – Comedian Chris Farley, known for his roles in “Tommy Boy” and “Black Sheep,” was buried in an unmarked grave at Resurrection Cemetery in Madison, Wisconsin after his death in 1997.
- Isaac Hayes – The musician and composer, Isaac Hayes was buried in an unmarked grave at Memorial Park Cemetery in Memphis, Tennessee after his death in 2008. It wasn’t until 2014 that a headstone was finally added.
- Lenny Bruce – Comedian Lenny Bruce, known for his controversial stand-up routines, was buried in an unmarked grave at Eden Memorial Park Cemetery in California after his death in 1966. It wasn’t until 2013 that a headstone was added, thanks to the efforts of his daughter.
While the decision to be buried in an unmarked grave may seem unusual to some, it is ultimately a personal choice that should be respected. These 10 celebrities may not have a public marker to honor their memory, but they will always be remembered for their contributions to the entertainment industry.